On successful completion of the course students should be able
To understand basic concepts of computability, computational complexity, and underlying mathematical structures.
To master the quantum computational model.
To design and analyse quantum algorithms.
To implement and run quantum algorithms in the Qiskit open-source software development kit for IBM Q quantum processors.
- Computability and complexity
- Turing machines and computability.
- Computational complexity. Agorithms and complexity classes.
- Quantum computation and algorithms:
- The quantum computational model (circuits, gates, measurements).
- Introduction to quantum algorithms.
- Algorithms based on the quantum Fourier transform.
- Algorithms based on phase amplification
- Quantum complexity.
- Quantum modelling and programming in Qiskit
- Advanced topics in quantum computation
- Hybrid quantum programming.
- Quatum tomography.
- Measurement-based quantum computation.
Computability and Computational Complexity
H. R. Lewis and C. H. Papadimitriou. Elements of the Theory of Computation. Prentice
Hall (2nd Ed), 1997.
S. Arora and B. Barak. Computational Complexity: A Modern Approach. Cambridge
University Press, 2009.
Quantum Computation and Algorithms
M. A. Nielsen and I. L. Chuang. Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (10th
Anniversary Edition). Cambridge University Press, 2010
E. Rieffel and W. Polak. Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction. MIT Press, 2011.
F. Kaye, R. Laflamme and M. Mosca. An Introduction to Quantum Computing. Oxford University Press, 2007.
N. S. Yanofsky and M. A. Mannucci. Quantum Computing for Computer Scientists. Cambridge
University Press, 2008.
W. Scherer. Mathematics of Quantum Computing. Springer, 2019.
N. S. Yanofsky. The Outer Limits of Reason. MIT Press, 2013.
- S. Aaronson. Quantum Computing since Democritus. Cambridge
University Press, 2013.
- Training assignment (40%): 12 June
(with intermediate ckeckpoints)
- Written test (60%): 29 May
- Appointments: Tue, 08:00-09:00 and Thu, 18:00-20:00 (please send an email the day before)
- Email: lsb at di dot uminho dot pt
- Last update: 2020.02.01